Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"HERE I AM" ALBUM REVIEW




Over the past two decades alot has been said about Kelly Rowland,from people always saying she'll be in the shadows of you know who to people saying she just doesn't
have the "it" factor,well now Ms.Kelly is stepping up,"killing the haters with kindness", and telling the world "HERE I AM".
Released July 26th, Kelly's new hit album focuses around topics of love,inner strength,empowerment,fun,and....you guessed it....SEX!

To get a good idea of each song let's go one by one shall we?

"I'M DAT CHICK" -The album opens up with Kelly boasting "I'm that chick,how you know,I told you so". Over the pumping instrumentals Kellys sings the Ester Dean
wrote track with confidence as she gloats "I'm not cocky,I just love myself....this chick know she cute so what you talking bout". Certainly a track made for the clubs,
I'm Dat Chick is the perfect opener for Here I Am. Yea Kelly,we know,you dat chick!!

"Work It Man"- Keeping up with the trend of "girl sings,boy raps,song is a hit", the second track opens with Lil playy rapping a quick line or two,before Kelly comes in
and steals the show. "Every good woman needs a good man,I'm a good woman, and he know that"Kelly sings over the Rodney Jerkins produced beat."You a work it man,show me what you
working with".While a very catchy tune,the song may come off as a slight diss to some men but if you're a "work it man" it certainly wont.

"Motivation"- What more is there to say about this song? From Lil Wayne's sexy verse to Kelly's silky vocals,Motivation is the perfect bedroom soong & was the perfect
choice as the first U.S. single. 7 weeks at number 1 on the R&B charts,top 10 on radio & top 20 hot 100,Motivation is a hit with the masses and definitely a standout track.

"Lay It On Me" - Starring as the album's second U.S. single,"Lay It On Me" is a perfect blend of pop & hip hop. Featuring two playful verses from Big Sean where he exclaims
"Turn you into my school girl,smack you with my ruler girl,you know how I do it girl"the song cuts to Kelly telling her lover to ditch his friends and come put his
hands on her body. With a catchy,easy to remember chorus,piano driven beat,Lay It on me was produced with the radio in mind."Lay it on me OHHHH....lay it on me",
we see how you get down Kelly girl!


"Feeling Me Right Now"- A track where Kelly shows her self-love, Feeling Me Right Now is already a favorite among fans and a sure bet as a future single."Feeling great,looking like money,she aint scared
to spend it,she be stuntin on you dummies" Kelly exclaims as she goes on about the girl in the club that she has her eyes on."I swear I just fell in love in the club tonight
,I'm just feeling me right now",we're feeling you too right now KELLZ!


"Turn It Up"-
If Kelly is searching for that crossover pop hit ,she need look no longer."I can tell her everything you told me,I can make her feel
just like me,instead I'm sipping til I'm empty....TURN IT UPPPPPPP" Kelly boasters as she rips into her ex-lover. With a great visual Turn it up could do big things
on the charts. Future single? Maybe. We'll just have to wait and see,until then "TURN IT UPPPPPPPPP"!

"All Of The Night"- A sexy slow jam featuring Rico Love,Kelly compares herself to a song on the radio telling her boo to turn her up & keep it bumping! Sampling 2 Live Crew's "One and One",
Kelly gloats "One and one,we're having some fun in the bedroom all day,and all of the night" . With a 90's vibe to it,All of The Night is already getting
airply on urban stations across the nation and is the perfect song for a long night session.


"Keep It Between Us"- My personal favorite track on the album,as well as Kelly's, Keep It Between Us is that perfect song for you and that special someone.In a bold,strong
voice Kelly sings about her special love and their special relationship. "And I wont give my love away,we just keep it between us,we just keep it between us..."Kelly whispers
on the soothing Drake like instrumentals. Knowing that Kelly wants to release a remix album,could we see a future remix with Drake? If so that would be amazing.Though I feel
Kelly held back vocally on the climax, Keep It between Us is my favorite track off the album and that says alot about how good it is.

"Commander"- The track that started the "Here I Am" era over a year ago, Commander is the perfect David Guetta produced dance track,which is probably why it topped the
stateside dance charts as well as became a U.K. top 10 hit. While a great track Commander throws the flow of the album off and doesn't quite belong with Here I Am's urban pop sound.
The urban remix featuring Nelly should of taken it's place. Nice track non-theless.

"Down For Whatever"- The album ends with "Down For Whatever" a dance,pop inspired song that would surely become a huge U.K. hit and with the recent euro-pop explosion
in the U.S.,a possible a pop hit as well. The track mashes better with the rest of the album than "Commander"but doesn't really serve as a proper
album closer,leaving the album hanging at a dead end.



All in all "Here I Am" is a good re-intruduction to the world from Kelly Rowland. Though not perfect Here I Am possesses enough radio ready songs & star power to push
Kelly into solo superstar status that she surely deserves. Though more of an urban album Here I AM contains splashes of pop and dance that will surely please everyone from Atlanta,Georgia to London,England.
A good listen from start to finish Here I Am will surely be Kelly's most successful and sought after album to date.

FOUR STANDOUT TRACKS:
MOTIVATION
FEELING ME RIGHT NOW
TURN IT UP
KEEP IT BETWEEN US

BONUS TRACKS:
HEAVEN & EARTH- ONE OF KELLY'S BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE,SHOUL'DVE CLOSED OUT THE ALBUM

EACH OTHER

MOTIVATION REBEL ROCK REMIX

COMMANDER URBAN REMIX


RATING: 4/5 STARS





PS:CHECK OUT THE ALBUM SNIPPETS BELOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on posts older than 4 days are reviewed